From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:14:36 -0500
Dennis Crutchfield wrote:

> Hello beekeeps,
>  Can anyone tell me where I can buy some fondant so I can make patties on my
> bees. I seen a advertizement somewhere and now cant recall where.
> preacher

This is not an answer to your specific question, but why do you need
fondant when plain white sugar is fine for feed?

I feed candy, which gives you water and sugar in a concentrated form,
which is what I think you are looking for. Candy is perfect for cold
weather, late winter/early spring feed (as is now the case here in
Maine). Use syrup if the weather is warm and the bees are flying
regularly.

For candy: Heat one package (5 lb.) of sugar and one pint water to 242F.
Pour out into a rimmed, greased cookie sheet and allow to cool. Cut into
blocks about 6"x6" and place right over the bees on the top bars (do not
block the hole in the inner cover).

What you do not use can be packaged and put in the freezer for next
year.

If you are looking for fondant for crisco patties then sugar works fine
there also.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me