From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:05:44 -0400
...another question is: how closely or distantly related are the European
vs. North American mites?  I wonder if this has been determined. One or the
other (it's been claimed) is closer to the Asian native varroa. Are we then
dealing with a different strain than the Europeans, and what might be the
implications? of this?

Perhaps this is a moot point, given that tolerant mites are already present
in Florida.  But it would be helpful in understanding just what is taking
place.

I'd also be very interested in any comments with regard to Bill's query.