From:
Kristina Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2017 22:30:39 -0600
Hi Micheal,
   The video looks like a typical hive with PMS (parasitic mite syndrome).
It's a bunch of symptoms that happen when a hive is crashing from a mite
infestation.  Some are straightforward and obvious, some not so much.
Uncapped
(bald) or chewed down pupae are the result of hygienic behavior by the
workers sensing that something's wrong in the cell.  Melted larvae on the
other hand?  I don't know what it is about a heavy mite infestation that
causes that.   This hive has been sliding downhill for some time and will
likely not recover.   Anyway, I don't see anything unusual.
   How often are you checking mite levels?  If your hives are stationary,
you should check monthly May-Nov.  Treat when they're above threshold, not
by the calendar.  You should be able to get a good mite-zap in between
blackberries and knotweed.  Starting in July your friend's hives may be
robbing other hives that are crashing, bringing back a whole new
infestation of mites.  These varroa bombs can be managed hives or feral, in
the same yard or 1/2 mile away.
   In my experience, Hopguard is only somewhat useful for a midsummer,
supers on, hot weather tug on the reins of a runaway horse.  Mite levels
won't go down, but they might not go up too much.  You can buy yourself 3-4
weeks of time, but you'll need to get in there with something more
effective.  I don't have much experience with Apivar,  but if isn't working
in your area, don't use it.
   I'm seeing A LOT of EFB in nucs.   It DOES NOT clear up with good
weather or good food anymore.  Without antibiotics they die.   I don't
think that's what's in your friends hives, though.  If he's not sure, get a
test kit.  Easy enough.
   Frustrating?  Yes.  Keeping bees will keep you on your toes if nothing
else.  Stay informed and use reliable sources.  Also use local sources.
Puget Sound Beekeepers was an excellent group when I was in the area 10
years ago, and I think they still are.
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Boulder, CO