From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2015 08:31:38 -0500
Actually, I posited a third theory that is somewhat like this, but the researchers to whom I posited it, unanimously rejected it for various reasons. My theory was that in an apiary it is fairly common for bees to enter the “wrong hive.” These bees could advertise food sources such as flowers, or unguarded colonies to hives other than their own.

Actually a brilliant theory, as this is how most robbing happens... slowly at first.   I have one hive that has figured out how to navigate into and out of my shop,  cleaning up honey off the floor.  Quite interesting actually as there are a lot of windows.   Some days a lot of bees get in,  but not out.  One hive has both directions down.  Tiny crack above a window.

This concept would also help the math out quite a bit.

Charles