Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2017 08:38:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
> As a hobbyist I hesitated to post but this one really got to me. Although I have read and admired Dr. Seeley's work, I am nettled that his observations have been labeled "a natural, non-treatment solution".

Hi 
Thanks for chiming in. There are many people out there who would like to contribute to this discussion but feel inhibited for various reasons, but personally I enjoy the many viewpoints. Bee-l isn't an exclusive club. 

I too worry that folks will take it to heart that some sort of "let alone" beekeeping is more natural or righteous than the conventional forms. 

There was nothing admirable about old-fashioned skep beekeeping, the keepers knew little about the inner workings of the hive, and basically robbed the bees. Langstroth had in mind a humane and intelligent approach to beekeeping which led to a revolution in honey production, as well knowledge.

While it may be true that modern industrial beekeeping has created or exacerbated many problems, there is no need to attach blame on this or that faction. One thing leads to another in a continuum that cannot be easily teased apart. The point is, we are all in this together.

My favorite quote:
"People ask me, 'The bees are going to be extinct soon?'" said Ramesh Sagili, principal investigator at the Oregon State University Honey Bee Lab. "I'm not worried about bees being extinct here. I'm worried about beekeepers being extinct."

I hope Bee-l continues to be part of the effort to keep knowledgable, productive beekeeping alive. 

Peter Borst
Ithaca NY USA
Centrally Isolated

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2