From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:31:34 -0500

> 7)  Missouri is one of the regions that still has a tracheal presence  -
> its
> not typical of all areas of the U.S. - sorry Bob.

For years I have fought tracheal mites(TM) but I am the *only* beekeeper in
my area which treats for TM. If all of us treated then I would think I would
have less of a problem.

if you apply the same logic to nosema then I see a similar situation. I have
been treating spring and fall yet I am having some nosema issues.  If all
beekeepers made an effort to control nosema than we would gain ground.

I had the same problem for years with AFB. I controlled and others did not.
My hives robbed theirs out.

Same with varroa in the early years. I controlled and others did not and my
bees got reinfested by robbing their weak hives.

My thoughts on Washington problem:
*If* N. ceranae is at the root of the 4500 hive beekeepers problems I would
guess the beekeeper is one of those which have never used fumidil or just
started. His hives are full of spores and he has serious issues. Simply
replacing bees might not work *if* he works his bees hard.

My advice if testing shows high N. ceranae spore levels in dead outs would
be to take the time to use acetic acid on all dead outs. Then re stock
hives.  treat twice a year and use acetic acid on all dead outs.

The small beekeeper can do diffferent but the above beekeepers hives will
most likely come in contact with other commercial beekeepers bees which does
make a difference in being able to control N. ceranae.

My motto has always been:
"Do it once and do it right"

bob