From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 16:06:34 -0400
> I do not remember anyone ever posting to this List that the neonic
> seed treatments are harmless to bees.  Am I mistaken?

If anyone cares to read and re-read and ponder the conversations here,
as I do often, I think that it would be clear that this was strongly
implied, and even assumed by some, if not stated in those exact words.

In response to this, I think it is fair to say that there is no clear evidence that the seed treatments are harming bees, with the exception of the drifting dust. The neonics are expressed in nectar and pollen but at levels low enough to be considered safe. This is the basis upon which these treatment methods were approved.

If there is harm, it needs to be demonstrated, not speculated about. No one can prove NO harm, no one can prove a given agent or action is completely harmless. On the other hand, no harm was shown in tests, and no harm has been shown in field experience. It is entirely possible that there may be _some effect_ of low level neonics on beneficial insects.

It is entirely possible that any introduced agent from fertilizer, pesticides, to increased air pollution, may have some effect on beneficial insects. But saying that it could happen is not the same as saying it is happening. I would state without reservations that it appears that neonics are not causing massive die-offs, and their connection to pollinator decline is conjectural.

Pete