From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 22:36:58 +0100
Dear Bee-L Members,

Does anyone know of the work of Graham Pyke in Australia  and David Roubik &
William Schaeffer in North America which raises concerns about the impact of
honey bees on native wild bees?

English Nature, the UK Conservation Agency, takes the view that:-

 "There is little evidence to demonstrate a significant role for honeybees
as pollinators of our native wild plants.....   Honey bees utilise the most
abundant and productive flowers to which they can gain access and are very
successful at gathering pollen.  That is not the same as pollination.  Our
native bees are not nearly so efficient at pollen gathering and it is this
very inefficiency which facilitates pollination.  When the major pollen
source is exhausted, honeybees actively seek an alternative in a similarly
ruthlessly efficient manner with which our native species cannot
successfully compete"

Quoted from recent correspondence with English Nature.

I am sure that most beekeepers are sensitive to the welfare of native wild
bees and if we are to accept this point of view, does it mean that we should
be aware of the most sensitive areas and make sure through our beekeeping
associations that we avoid high concentrations of honeybee colonies in those
places.

If anyone can source for me the published work of the scientists mentioned
above I would be grateful.  I would also be interested in hearing about
relevant experience or observations that Bee Liners may have to report.

Regards,

Glyn Davies,  Ashburton, Devon. UK