From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:13:22 -0500
Hello All,

> Bees not taking syrup and/or medication is one of the symptoms listed by
> the
> Spanish for N. ceranae.

The Spanish researchers are way ahead of U.S. research on n. ceranae. Their
disappearing bee research started in 2001. We have approached those
researchers before. Why? Because Spain has more bee hives ( 2.7 million
hives) and their country is about the size of California. Far higher
concentration of hives than California almonds. Their researchers are among
the best in the world. Spain is the ideal place to look at a similar
situation as California almonds but California almonds is only crowed for a
short period of time when Spain is crowded year around!

Spain has had a disappearing bee problem since 2001. Has eliminated all but
nosema ceranae as the problem. Has been able to actually document a hive
losing adult bees from nosema ceranae. In the study the bees where flying
out up to 700 meters to die. Those bees were found and tested and had severe
nosema
ceranae and died from starvation while the hive showed no problems other
than missing bees. At the end of the study the hive had a queen and 133
bees.

>  I've heard of  some beekeepers drenching bees (which I
> believe is off label).

A cup of solution four times at a weeks interval is the dose. The reason for
drenching is sound. The bees will not take syrup and even die in the feeder
trying to feed but when drenched they lick each other off and get some
medication. drenching is simply a last ditch effort to get nosema ceranae
under control. When ever I am feeding syrup with fumidil and I see the
nosema ceranae signs of bees dead in the feeder and not taking feed I simply
cut the syrup pump valve back and drench the bees. Eric Mussen recommends
drenching as a last ditch attempt to save a colony ( 2008 MSBA meeting).

 My question  - if the bees are so far gone that they
> refuse feed, will drenching help?

From my experience I would say yes maybe twenty five  percent of the time.
Most are too far gone when they stop taking feed.

Concerning nosema ceranae I believe Spain is way ahead of the USDA-ARS but
then again why would they not be as they have got a seven year head start!
If I were the USDA-ARS I would ask for their research and then take further.
Why waste years doing the early research?

bob