Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2016 09:10:48 -0400
> Of interest is that this study may help to explain the increased rate of
> queen mortality and unsuccessful supersedure that we've observed since the
> invasion of varroa, and especially in recent years.

I think the trial was more artificial that real world. From my reading they
infected the drones with DWV  while the normal mechanism would be through
Varroa in the cells.I am not sure that most of the normally infected drones
would make it out to the DCA compared to the lab treated ones.

There may b a probability that the queen gets infected, but I would think
it would be small. So I seriously doubt that it is connected to queen
deaths.Plus I always discount any study that says CCD when it obviously has
nothing to do with symptoms that show CCD. That is bad science right from
the start.

However, the recent studies on pesticides in hives and that their
concentration are directly linked with colony deaths could also be related
to queen health.

I will post a link to that study in another thread.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine