From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:22:37 EST
[log in to unmask] (Sr. Catherine) writes:

> I found patches of SEALED ans patches
>  of UNSEALED honey on each of a number of frames.  I then decided to
>  postpone removal and extraction, only to find myself with combs of
>  solidly crystalised honey ten days later.
>
>  I'm wondering if any of you, who deal with Oil Seed Rape Honey, would
>  please tell me of their  experience of handling the crop.  Is there any
>  method of getting the honey from such combs without destroying the
>  Foundation/Combs?  I will be really grateful for any information or tips
>  on this subject.

    There is only one way I know, and that is to get it out of the comb very
quickly. Patches of uncapped honey are okay, unless you can give the frames a
sharp shake, and nectar shakes out on the ground.

    If it is already crystallized, you might rather give it back to the bees
as feed. I've used frames of canola (that's what it's called in the US) honey
to feed nucs and it works fine. If you insist on extracting it, keep the
supers as warm as possible (many beekeepers have a "warm room" where they can
keep stacks of supers at 95 or 100 degrees F). Then scratch the comb with a
cappings scratcher, as deeply as possible. Follow this with the end of a hive
tool scraped along the cells, to remove the comb right down to the midrib. I
hold the hive tool perpendicular to the frame to avoid gouging and puncturing
the midrib.

    It's a lot of work. Your hands will get sore, and you will take many more
hours to extract, and you won't get all the honey. And the sucess is
conditional on having the frames real warm to begin with.

    After a few times, you'll either go back to extracting immediately or
giving in back to the bees. Personally I'm not fond of canola honey. It looks
pretty, but it has an unpleasant, peppery taste.  Canola here blooms in
February and March. Unlike most other forage plants, it can take a hard frost
in the morning, and be yielding nectar in the afternoon -- a great crop for
raising early queens.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm