From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:57:43 -0400
> A film crew will film you for hours, and then only show 5 seconds of you
> saying something that you may not have said if you thought about it a bit
more.

This does happen, the most drastic case I can recall being the
out-of-context quote editing done in "Vanishing of the Bees".
I remember them sitting dejectedly at EAS Delaware, being pointedly ignored
after pre-announcing a paper still under review:
http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/community-news/4754
There was talk of a threat made of a lawsuit against the producers, but I
doubt they bothered once the film sank without a ripple.

So, while the press can edit someone to appear to contradict their actual
public stance, this is not what was claimed here.
What was claimed was that some people hold private views that are widely
divergent with their public/peer-reviewed/published views, and express them
only "in confidence", expecting not to be named.

That makes no sense at all.

If I contradict my public statements "in private", my public stance might
well be refuted by the publication of data that verifies my "private" views.
Thus, while I would be happy to see my "private" views vindicated, it would
not help me professionally to have my public statements be refuted by my
peers.
I find this kind of scenario hard to imagine in a relatively obscure area
like "bees", when it is not the case in higher-stakes areas, such as "global
warming".

On the subject of films, I watched a review copy of "More Than Honey", and
went to a pre-release screening here in NYC on Monday night.  It is a
beautiful film, with slow-motion high-resolution bee footage shot on digital
cameras using endoscopic lenses for some great macro work.  It is also 100%
screed-free and rant-free, simply contrasting a migratory beekeeper with a
rural Swiss beekeeper.  Both are shown as having great concern for their
bees, but both are also shown as failing to consistently act in the absolute
best interest of their bees through hubris or expediency.  While the
migratory beekeeper splits an entire truckload of hives 4 ways in a mass of
confused bees, the rural beekeeper has a bee inspector find a serious case
of foulbrood right under his nose, forcing the burning of the colony.  This
is about the best film yet to appear about bees and the problems thereof.
It also shows a few beekeepers putting a frame of queen cells in a cell
finisher and inspecting mating nucs without veils or gloves, which was
refreshing.