From:
Tony Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:55:45 -0700
> I have heard that sumac smoke is a good varroa dropper.

Others have been working on the issue of using smoke to get mite drop. USDA
scientists have found that smoke from Creosote Bush (a comon desert shrub)
achieved a 90 to 100 percent mite knockdown after 1 minute, and dried
Grapefruit leaves (another commonly available material)  knocked down 90 to
95 percent of the mites. A summary can be found at:

                 http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/mitesmoke0897.htm.

We also know that Tobacco smoke also will cause mite drop. The problem was
to get good smoke exposure and achieve adequate mite drop without harming
the bees.

Well, what else is new! Isn't that the problem of all chemical mite controll
measures? I too keep hopeing that we may discover an inexpensive procedure
that works well in the bee yard.

Tony Dixon
Port Alberni BC
Vancouver Island's Wet West Side