From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:03:46 -0500
Hello Kurt,
I believe you and I are having an excellent discussion of the thymol/mineral
oil issue. To those which have emailed me and think I am picking on Dr. R.
and Kurt I say I am not and only trying to engage in discussion of the
topic.

Kurt said:
I am unaware of him "recommending' that the cords be left on while supering
for honey.

Dr. R's has now went to telling the FGMO group that they need to fog every
week for the method to work (was two weeks). The cords stay in all season.
Honey supers of hobby beekeepers in our area are on from around May 15th to
July 15th  (shortest period of time).
I have got yards which still have got supers on even now but should be
pulled the first of next week.  After two years of using FGMO Kurt you
surely realize that not treating during the time period  with honey supers
on would cause FGMO to be even less effective .

In the BEE-L archives are several posts between Dr. Rodriguez and myself. I
have been following FGMO since the start.

Consider Kurt that we are simply two beekeepers which have both used FGMO
and are discussing our results. Yours were a success and mine a failure. Did
I do something wrong (as FGMO is certainly not rocket sceince)?

Bob said:
Perhaps we should all send Dr. Rodriguez a bill for the dead hives and
wasted labor trying FGMO.

Kurt said:
If this the case, then I think we should also hold the manufacturers and
distributers of Apistan and Checkmite responsible for colony loss as well as
honey and wax contamination.

Because Dr. R. does not market a product he is safe. However the
manufacturers of chemicals are always worried as the makers of Mitacur
bought dead 150 hives reportedly from use of Mitacur and a lawsuit for wax
contamination against Bayer might happen.

Bayer (maker of Checkmite) patented the process for removal of coumaphos
from wax and is wanting to sell the process to wax renderers I have been
told. Kind of like making money on both ends .

For those wanting to read the mineral oil tests done in Missouri under a
S.A.R.E. grant. I have been unable to find the report on the net. If you do
please post for all of BEE-L to read.

The project leader was Matt Higdon - research entomologist by vocation
certified master beekeeper by both the EAS and  University of Nebr.

Matt's help were

Art Gelder- Then president of the Missouri State Beekeepers assn.

and

Ray Nabors- Ray teaches beekeeping and has given beekeeping talks in many
states. Ray has also toured beekeeping around the world and did programs on
those. Ray has written articles for bee magazines.

The mineral oil trial done in Missouri was done exactly as recommended off
the net by Dr. R. and is explained in its entirety on page 21 of the book "
Missouri Sustainable Ag Demonstration Award Projects 1998-2000 " available
I am told by calling the Missouri department of Ag - Sustainable Ag program
in Jefferson City , Missouri
1-573-522-8616   1-573-751-5505

Bob