From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:43:32 -0400
I am in my third year with Russians and this year joined the Russian Bee Breeders
Association and received genetic material from Baton Rouge.

Given my short history I can say this that they are more swarmy for sure, make a similar
crop of honey and do not build up if conditions are poor for forage and I never see any
AFB in these bees.  I have not treated any of my Russians and have no plans to.

Recent data from USDA shows they wintered on 17 pounds of honey in Northern Iowa.

For me the COST SAVINGS from no AFB and Varrora treatments and minimal feed trumps
any of the downsides of their behavioral characteristics.  I experimented with no winter
wrapping last year and found no difference in the wrapped vs unwrapped - another
potential savings. To say no one will pay any extra dollar for a bee that saves you money
is shortsighted IMO.

I will point out that unless you can keep them isolated the genetics will quickly be lost as
they superscede more often, plus I doubt that even a Russian hive cannot handle nearby
collapsing yards of non resistant bees from varroa so being isolated is paramount.

I just checked 50 colonies of them  yesterday and noticed some superceded during our
recent basswood flow. Most of those still produced 2 supers of honey anyhow.

Its not a bee for bee havers who are not checking every 10 days on their hives and I
don't see them being a migratory bee either. When fuel hits 6-8$ a gallon in the next
decade (my prediction) migratory beekeeping will be over anyhow.  Its not a matter of if
but when.....

But they build up incredibly fast and 4 frame nucs made here in southern Mn by mid June
and expanded out into a single deep can still make a super or two of honey in their first 3
months.

If you plan on doing things the same old way you did with Italians then maybe the
Russian bee and its benefits are not for you... but times are changing and for some
segment of the beekeeping population this bee is a new era where you can leave your
crop on into later September even without worrying about that fall mite treatment and
feeding. These management benefits are huge if you can learn to run your operation
around them - not try and force them into an Italian way of keeping.