From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:40:10 -0700
"For Amitraz, yes. For OA and Formic, there has been no show of resistance."

As a scientist I have absolutely no reason to suspect that OA or Formic resistant mites will or will not show up next year.  When resistance shows up it is generally fast and the degree of resistance escalates rapidly after it shows up.  I know of nothing at all about the suspected modes of action that says resistance should show up slower for OA or Formic than it should show up for amatraz.

In terms of residues none of these products put harmful residues in wax or honey from what I have read.  In spite of claims about queen problems with amatraz I and many others have not seen practical queen problems after use of amatraz.  As of today amatraz is so much more effective in my hives at knocking mites out than either OA or Formic there is no comparison.  It costs about the same per hive as MAQS.  It is way less harmful to bees, brood and queens than MAQS.  When traz resistance becomes a problem I will switch to other products and stop its use.  Until then I see no reason to not use it as part of my treatment program.  I must use something.  I have some 150 back yard bee keepers in my county and probably no more than five or at best ten treat for mites.  Most of the rest seem to blame dead hives on roundup or less commonly neonics.  Winter deaths of 70% are generally considered normal.

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken