From:
"A.S. Chamove" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1992 12:31:29 +1200
Recall reading alot about the African honey bee in America a few
years ago, but not anything recently. Could someone bring me up to
date on its movement into the USA and damage caused?
I have had experience of this fellow in parts of Africa and while
certainly not a desirable insect from my point of view, it did not
seem to be the destructor to animals and man that the press made out.
I lived in a hut on the flight path of a nest about 100 metres away
and the insects were not pleased. Another student inadvertently went
close to a nest and before she could get away was stung over 50
times. She was not a pretty sight for about a week. We were far from
any other habitation (9 hours by car) and so had no access to
medication; so it might have been dangerous I suppose.
--
Arnold Chamove
Massey University Psychology