From:
Joseph Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:47:27 -0800
For those asking about entombed pollen, please see the complete article located at:
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/PDF%20files/vanEngelsdorp_et.al.2009.pdf

Anyone having difficulty accessing the article, email me and I will send it to you in PDF.
The report documents a "new phenomenon, entombed pollen, which is highly associated with increased colony mortality."...."there were elevated pesticide levels, notably of the fungicide chlorothalonil, in
entombed pollen."

Chlorothalonil-containing products are sold under the names Bravo, Echo, and Daconil.

Last week Jody Johnson, toxicology Ph.D. student and bee researcher at University of Md, described for the Susquehanna Beekeepers Association the fact that bees need certain organisms in their stored pollen in order to make use of it.  The journal article states that "There appears to be a lack of microbial agents in the pollen."
Joe Lewis
Bel Air, MD