From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2013 16:38:45 -0400
Given the questions, I've pulled the  following description of our  assays
that have been published and available on our websites since 1995.   Since I
retired from UM, we're shifting  things over to our  new company web site,
which is almost ready for launch.

As most of you know, from the early 1970s through the early 1990s, I did a
considerable amount of work for EPA regarding the use of bees as
environmental  monitors and for ecological assessments of potential hazards at EPA
hazardous  waste sites (i.e., EPA authorized use of bees for this purpose in
1989).   One  of our tasks was to identify measurement end points that could
provide  data for assessments.  Here are two of the methods that we produced.
  FYI - I realized after posting that the hygienic assay had been
published, that  the description in the book had a major error - we do  NOT push the
tube into the comb, in fact, we take care NOT to damage the cells.  Our
tube for the liquid nitrogen makes a SLIGHT impression in the caps, but does
not  break them.

For the following tests - the Brood Survival Test is one  of our go to
methods for assessing  presence of materials that may poison the brood,
whether a pollutant, natural product from plants bees are foraging, or  pesticides.

We will post these to our new web site, with photos.   We're  still
checking that everything on the site works - I'll send the URL when we're  ready to
go.  In the meantime, this will provide a summary of our  protocols.

Brood  Survival Test
For  many years, we have used a simple yet effective method to assess brood
survival.  We first find a comb where the queen has laid eggs in a patch
that is at least  20 cells wide by 12 cells deep. We mark six rows with
dressmaker pins. For each  row, a pin is inserted into a cell on the left side of
the patch and another pin  is inserted into the 25th cell to the right of
the first pin. We randomize the  colors of the pins marking each row and
record the colors on a data sheet.
The  test area consists of 120 cells (six rows of 20). We record the
contents of each  cell-empty, honey, nectar, pollen, young larva, old larva, or
pupa. The comb is  then returned to the center of the brood nest. Two weeks
later we take the comb  out and again record the contents of each cell.
Assuming  that a cell started with an egg or young larva, we should find a
pupa in the  cell. If not, the pupa either died or was removed by the bees.

Because  the bees often try to remove the pins, we mix the colors so that
we can find the  original area, even if some of the pins have been pulled out
of the comb. We use  a toothpick to remove the caps from any capped cells.
We also record the age of  any pupae. We sometimes find pupae that are
underage. In other words, the  original egg (or larva) did not survive, but the
queen replaced it soon enough  for the replacement to reach the pupal stage.
We  have learned never to assume that all of the initial eggs survived.
Capped brood  does not guarantee survival. In many industrial areas, we find
that brood losses  of up to 80% can occur, even though all of the cells may be
capped.
The  empty row (left) is a positive control. At the time of the initial
inspection,  we swirl a round dowel in each of the 20 cells of the sixth
(bottom) row. This  provides another mark to identify the test area, tests the
ability of the queen  to replace lost eggs and serves as a reference for brood
mortality. If no  mortality has occurred, all of the pupae should be healthy
and similar in age  (right).
Hygienic  Behavior
The  hygienic behavior of a colony influences its susceptibility to
microbial  pathogens, including natural pathogens such as chalk brood or foul brood
and  presumably microbial insecticides. Several bee researchers employ a
method  advocated by Steve Taber to rank colonies according to speed of
uncapping and  removal of freeze-killed pupae. His method consists of cutting out
a piece of  brood comb, freezing it overnight in a freezer, and carefully
placing the brood  back into the comb.
We  acknowledge the usefulness of this approach but found that it takes too
much  time to assess large numbers of colonies. We also had problems
getting  reproducible results. The act of cutting the comb seems to be sufficient
to  stimulate our colonies to remove brood.  We’ve had the same problem
using the pin prick  method.
Therefore,  we developed a modification of the Taber technique. We use
liquid nitrogen to  kill the pupae. 80 ml of liquid nitrogen is poured into a
thin-walled metal tube  that is lightly pressed against the comb surface. A
cloth wrapped around the  base of the tube prevents the nitrogen from leaking
out and freezing additional  parts of the comb. We then have to wait about
two minutes for the nitrogen to  evaporate and the metal tube to release from
the comb. We then place an acetate  sheet over the comb and use a permanent
marker to mark the positions of groups  of 20 undamaged cells (cells within
the circle with intact caps). The comb is  then placed in the center of the
brood nest. We mark the frame with a thumb tack  so we can quickly find it.
Done correctly, this procedure leaves no visible  signs of having been
applied other than the slight scoring of the caps caused by  the end of the
metal tube.
Twenty-four  hours later, we pull out the frame with the tack, index the
acetate on the  frame, and count the number of uncapped as well as the number
of cells from  which the bees have removed pupae have been removed by bees.

Additional  tests conducted in spring 1996 established our recommendation
in our technical  report to EPA to freeze several small patches, rather than
one large patch of  capped brood to improve the accuracy of the assay.  We
suggest a minimum of three small  frozen patches, each on a different frame
face (requires 1-3 combs).  Hygienic  behavior is thought to be controlled by
two recessive genes, one for uncapping,  the other for removal of dead or
sick brood.  Colony populations are comprised of bees  from several
sub-families – they all share the same mother, the queen; but may  have different
fathers (drones).  Whether these sub-families are intermixed on the frames, or
occur in  groups was unknown to us.