From:
Lars Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:34:00 +0100
Dear  Allen and list.
To us in Denmark where a local phonecall (i.e. browsing) is charged heavily, Your advices are very wel-placed.
I would like to add just a few more tips to your ones.

A) Sometimes You may want to take notes and not just bookmark or print. Or maybe bring Your information to another computer.
I use a MS Word document and make a number of tables all with 2 rows and one column, and when I browse i keep this document open in the background.
When I find an interesting site I click once in the URL-line and copy the address (Edit-Copy or Ctrl+C) and then shift to the Word document and paste the URL in one of the cells.
Then I jump back to the website and find some text, mark it up and cut and paste into the Word document the same way as the URL but into the cell below.
The best thing is, that this way, you never spell the URL wrong.
With newer word processors, You donīt have to copy the the URL back to the browser - just use the URL if it is marked up as a link.

B) "...run several copies of your browser window at once and read one page while another fills in in the background. (Don't keep too many open"..."Windows (r) will break down.. Experience will show what your individual system can stand."

I can add to this, that the number of open Windows/browsers depends on the amount of RAM to a high degree.
Versions 3 and 4 of the IE and Netscape seem to run smoothly with Windows 9x and
2 open Windows and 16 MB of RAM,
3 with 32 MB and
5 with 64 MB.

This VERY conservative number means what You should be able to run for hours with hardly any risk of being forced to boot.
My experience comes from classrooms with diferent models of computers and running them for 6 hours with high activity (teenagers surfing and chatting!!). Not one breakdown inside the above limits regardless of browser and processor.

C) "right click the link and select 'open link in a new window' "

If You are using for instance AltaVista and checking out a number of hits from Your search string, You  simply right-click on the first of Your hits and choose "open in new window" and jump back to right click on the next link.
Leave the search window where it is. That way, You never have to remember the same search again because You closed the wrong window!

Also if You are typing different URLs, just launch the first adress and use Ctrl + N and a new Window will pop up - showing the same as the first one but free to use for a new search.

Lars Hansen
4. season rookie beekeeper longing for spring
an some non-virtual beekeeping