From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:26:30 -0500
Hello All

> The neonics article which everyone is talking about (which I have in my
> email) which I  have not yet read
> is in the Journal of economic Entomology.

I have now read the article.( three times!)  research was done in Italy on
guttation intake
by bees from corn when neonicotinoid treated seeds were used.

I have sent the article to many researchers and the first replies back say
outstanding research . Beyond reproach! Well done! conclusive!

I have yet to hear back from the biggest nay Sayers on BEE-L I sent the
article to! I would love to get the comments of J. Fischer but Jim has left
the bee lists I have been told.

The subject of bees and guttation was only given a brief comment or two at
the KHPA meeting. Apparently research is also on its way showing lethal and
sub lethal effects from chemogation in drip systems & neonicotinoid treated
seed with irrigation.

What the guttation study means to me:
As  a beekeeper keeping bees in areas of corn the guttation research answers
questions I had. Beekeepers in France will also see many of their questions
answered. To be honest I saw the most problems which correspond with time
periods in the study in the drought years of 2005/ 2006 2006/2007.
Like the beekeepers in France I knew without  a shadow of a doubt *corn* was
the source of the problem. Although the bees collected corn pollen in huge
amounts that year I think collecting the guttation water might have been a
bigger issue!
We had cracks a foot deep in the soil and ponds dry at the time. I looked at
plane  photos at the USDA office and only yards in areas of corn were seeing
bee loss.

Before you post a response to the above I suggest you read the study.

The study is being circulated on the internet. I also can email to list
members interested.

bob