From:
Peter Dalby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:01:53 -0000
Both our children have been involved in our bee operation from an early
age,Naomi received her first sting when only a few days old but despite 2
very worried parents came to no apparent harm. Rebekah was older. Both the
girls had their first beesuits before they were 2 years old. Naomi is now 15
and strange things in trousers are more interesting but Rebekah (12) still
goes out with me and thinks nothing of working 20 or 30 hives  alongside me.
    During the whole of their lives there have been a  couple of hives in
the garden and often in summer their friends visit to look at the bees,
rabbits and other animals. Both children have assisted in public
demonstrations of bee handling since before they were school age. Rebekah is
more than happy to demonstrate to others how to sting for therapeutic
purposes by stinging her own arm. I would say get kids involved with the
bees if they are interested, but do take some precautions==
    1 Only keep bees that are even tempered
    2 Make sure the children have proper protective gear, we use one piece
jacket and veils made by E H Thorne near Lincoln England.
    3 the adult handling the bees must be competent and not get flustered no
matter what happens
    4 remember accidents do occasionally happen and no matter how careful we
are sooner or later the child   may well get stung. A cuddle and reassurance
works wonders
    5 My wife talked to our GP after Naomi`s1st  sting and he prescribed
piriton paediatric syrup in case it was needed which I dont remember us
having to use,  except for multiple stings. This happened on one occasion
when Rebekah knocked a hive over and got quite a few. Once we had soothed
her I found Naomi had already put the hive back to rights without using
smoker or veil and had not got stung in the process.
               I think my children benefited from the bees in the garden and
we spent many hours watching and handling them and also the various other
"bugs & beasties" that made their home with us. I know that if I am not @
home when one of  the people we supply bees to for bee venom therapy comes
round the girls are competent and can get bees out for them.
        Peter
Peter and Barbara Dalby, England
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web Site: http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.pebadale