From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:23:06 -0700
>  Also, I wonder if there is a way to test fecal material for Nosema spores.
>  It would seem that if you had streaking you would be sure to have Nosema
>  spores in the feces if that was the cause of the streaking.

Yes, you can test streaks.  Scrape them off hive covers or a
windshield.  Dissolve in a drop of water to rehydrate the spores.
View after a minute.

>Of course just
>  because you don't see streaking it doesn't mean you don't have Nosema.

Absolutely right!

Thanks for the data, Jerry!  Let me confirm that I have found that
colonies that collapse with high nosema counts prior, can have low
counts in the surviving handful of young bees (pers obs)

Also, colonies with high levels in fall, can collapse down to one
frame of bees, yet appear to recover in spring.  I am currently
tracking some to monitor the progress of their recovery.

Re Juanse's observation that feeding vinegar plus pollen supp helps
against nosema, I suspect that the pollen supp alone will do the
trick!

Everyone, we are all in this together, and learning as we go.  There
are no experts on Nosema ceranae in North America.  If you have a
scope, check for spores, follow infections, record symptoms, do
controlled trials of treatments, and then share what you find.  I will
be happy to act as a clearinghouse for information on my website.

Randy Oliver