From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:44:04 -0500
I would not want to try it with
> 80% (or higher) acetic which I understand will strip skin off in seconds.

seconds? I would not want to not handle properly myself but what other
choice does the larger beekeeper have? Burn? My friend Dave Hackenberg asked
if I wanted to get a pallet of comb irradiated in Florida. The cost was
around two thousand dollars a pallet.( 36 deeps)

acetic acid fumigation:
You make a stack of boxes. Use a spacer. install the acid in container and
place, when gone you air
out the comb.

Not rocket science. However those afraid of the process need to find another
method.

I have got all new comb which has never had fluvalinate, amatraz or
choumaphos used with all foundation less than five years old. Burning is not
an option.

irradiating might be an option if I was within 30 miles of the facility as
Dave Hackenberg is but still acetic acid seems the best route. I see n.
ceranae as a problem which will need monitoring for a long time.

CCD (whatever CCD is?) has turned up many problems in our bees. I suggest
beekeepers forget about waiting for the single cause and start working on
solving the problems the CCD team has already found wrong in our bees. I am!

I have got the face shield, full suit, gloves and respirator. however you
figure it acetic acid is still the lowest priced treatment for nosema
spores. In fact the
above equipment has always been in my shop. Several sets if needed. I have
run a small orchard business for years. However the protection equipment is
easy to find and not expensive.

The problem is most sellers of acetic acid will not ship to other than a
business address but the product is available.

Larger beekeepers should not have a problem ordering but others might.

bob