From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:34:21 -0400
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Can you suggest which particular genetically inheritable characteristics
>might make a strain of honeybee less susceptible to nosema?

Hello Chris,

Besides the previously mentioned and most excellent responses to this
question.

IMO,  there is a simple technique anyone can employ.
And that is ’breed from your (overall) best stock’.  Has proved to be a
remarkably effective technique for thousands of years.

For several years now I have been employing methods promoted on this list
and others to select a higher varroa resistance.  Strangely enough,
hundreds of pin pricks, mite counts and other techniques later, I find
varroa resistance correlated directly with my best performers.  Simply by
selecting from the top 10 %  overall performers,  would have been
effectively selected for high varroa resistance.

As a result, I am placing much more weight on selection for over all
performance and much less weight on time consuming testing and counting
techniques.

Best Wishes,
Joe