From:
"Bob St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 17:45:37 -1000
 My langstroths seem to work very well. I can manufacture
>all my own equipt if neccesary. Is a TBH highly recommended?

The top bar hive is an inexpensive system to get started. I can't imagine anyone
abandoning their standard hives and switching to top bar hives.
They are good for third world countries or someone wanting to start on a
shoestring or someone who wants to experiment with something different.
The comb may not get attached if the frames are inspected often but I suspect
that one will have trouble removing a frame if they are left for a season in
good honey flow.
I believe that the less stress one gives a colony by opening the hive and taking
out frames the better and the fewer queens one will lose. Listen to a hive often
but open them seldom.