From:
Adebisi Data Adekunle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:15:48 +0100
Extract describing method. Please note that the ambient temperature in
tropical countries is higher than in the UK, so need to compensate by
placing the harvest for example, in a shady corner in a boiler room.
Method One - 8 day floating Method
Þ     Floating is the simplest method, but takes the longest

Þ     There are disadvantages when harvesting in the rainy season when
humidity is high (high water content in the air).

Þ     Honey is hygroscopic and will absorb water from the air unless you
work with closed containers

Procedure for 8 day floating method

1.      Remove the wax capping with sharp knife or uncapping fork >save
cappings

2.      Break harvested comb into small pieces

3.      Place them in small container. Seal container to make it air tight.
Leave in a warm shady corner to separate - no direct heat or sunlight

4.      After 7 days wax floats to the top > Skim off wax > save in separate
container

5.      Strain / filter honey through a clean cloth, nylon stocking or
special honey filter

6.      Close and leave to process further for another day

7.      Skim off any foam & wax particles which have floated to the top

8.      Filter again

9.      Honey now ready for bottling > put into honey jars

10.   Wax saved after 7 days should be soaked in water (to dissolve honey)
and can be used for a variety of purposes, to for example  1) Brew beer
where the wax is not first grade (i.e. dark comb),   2) Obtain beeswax if
the wax comb was first grade (i.e light or medium)

Equipment Required - All must be clean and kept clean

·         2 containers with tight fitting lids

·         Container for wax cappings

·         A sharp knife or uncapping fork

·         Filter / Strainer for honey > clean cloth, nylon stocking or
special honey filter. The finest mesh size used commonly has holes of 0.1 -
0.2 mm diameter

·         Skimmer > large spoon, leaf etc

·         Honey jars

[1] Agromisa Foundation (Dutch non profit making foundation). Agrodok Series
No. 32. Beekeeping in the Tropics