From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:05:37 -0400
Tom Sanford said "The material should not be used unless there is a
verifiable need fluvalinate resistance has been documented... and/or small
hive beetle constitutes a real threat)."

I could not agree more.  The drug's dangers as well as the need to keep it
as a viable alternative should be limiting use.  However, no where on the
label is there any suggestion that use should be limited to situations
limited as described above.

In a personal conversation with the EPA I was told that they "would be glad
to consider" wording such as that suggested by Tom, but such a suggestion
needed to come from either the states' or from beekeeper groups.  My contact
remarked "we would not expect to get such a request from Bayer or Mann
Lake".  (Presumably, such a label change would somewhat reduce sales.)

I can understand that neither the AHP or the ABF would lobby for such
wording, but have to say that I am surprised that neither EAS (which may
represent more beekeepers than any other organization in the US) nor any
state organization has made such a suggestion.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com