From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2017 12:06:27 +0000
The last two years I have seen SHB.  Last year I started seeing them in July, this year August.  I do not see a lot.  Worst case maybe ten on an inner cover and more often zero to three.  Some others in my area see them and others do not see them.  I do not think anyone sees them in spring at all.  My son up in Michigan saw them a couple of years before I saw any and he is about 100 miles north of me.  We both do have some minor migratory bee keepers who winter in the south and of course they get the blame with zero proof they are a problem.  But I am talking only a few hundred migratory hives spread over an area of a few thousand square miles.  Very few hives getting slimed, but it does happen.

Seems to me few SHB can be overwintering in the hive or they would show up earlier.  Does anyone really know how far they fly?  I know Ohio told all of us Emerald ash bores would only travel a mile or two a year.  Then there was the year they traveled 200 from the west end of Lake Erie to where I live.

Dick