From:
Roger Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2013 07:09:45 -0500

> Justification? "The cost of losing pollinators far outweighs any
> value of controlling aphids on ornamental plants,” said Mace Vaughan,
> Pollinator Conservation Director at the Xerces Society...
>
> But the neonic in question has a multi-year track record of bee
> safety in another city in the region according to this L.A. Times article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-oregon-pesticides-restricted-20130626,0,3014501.story

The story also says

"The city of Hillsboro sprayed 200 trees with Safari in March, Preston
said. As the trees were not flowering at the time, city officials were
following label directions, he said."

So, this town followed label directions and had a smaller bee kill but this
along with the multiple years of application could indicate that the
chemical is accumulating in this environment and study is definitely
warranted and a temporary band is prudent.

> Likewise, Valent USA, the manufacturer of the neonic does not think
> the 6 month ban is necessary and justified given the information
> available:

Not unexpected nor of much use.  However,  to their credit, Valent is being
proactive and has sent an entomologist to counter the Xerces presence.  Too
bad we don't have an authority that will be the unbiased lead on the
investigation.