From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:59:58 -0600
I am sure many of you have been here so you might identify with this.

I have a one ton 4 x 4. Last fall I had a lot of work done on engine and
clutch.  Two clutches and the transmission in and out several times.  This
spring it becomes clear that all is not right for after depressing the
clutch pedal and waiting a few seconds a serious vibration starts.

The shop the did the work earlier is out of business.  (And I thought I
supported it to the extent that it would be in business without needing any
other customers.)

Had transmission removed.  Bolts on flywheel were rubbing on clutch.  Easy
fix, simply grind down the bolt heads.  Found a yoke (don't know what else
to call it) on transmission had at some time been broken and welded.  It was
wearing and may not have been aligning properly.  Turned out this was not
the case but at the time it might have been.  Had yoke replaced, then upon
installation, it was discovered that a pilot bearing had never been
installed.  This allowed the shaft to wander all over and all kinds of
things happening.  And the shop that was at fault had dissappeared in the
middle of the night earlier in the year.

All was installed but when set on a jack to test there was a terrible growl
coming from the transmission.  Removed again.  Remember, the cost of all
this work is mostly in the removal and installation of the transmission and
transfer case.  Bad bearing.  Mechanic replaced it, looked over the
transmission and bolted it in place again.  I picked it up - after many
days.  Hitched up my trailer, drove 10 km to a yard.  Forgot something, back
to Honey house, back to yard and just before the yard, the drive shaft fell
off.  Wow, does one stop quickly.  Fortunately I was in the process of
gearing down for a corner and was going slowly.  Turned out the mechanics
helper only turned some bolts on the universal joint in hand tight.  Busted
up the steady bearing and univesal joint.  Phoned mechanic and had a
'discussion'.  Before he arrived I managed to unbolt the balance of the
driveshaft and was motoring along on the front wheels.  4 wheel drive is nice.

A few days later all was repaired :-)  Sure it was :-)  Used the truck but
had difficulty going into 1st gear and it was impossible to downshift from 3
to 2.  This makes for interesting driving.  Back to the shop.  Mechanic
tried it and could only shake his head.  Clearly synchro problems.  Remove
and sure enough the synchro was gone.  He ordered parts from dealer on
Thursday.  No parts local but in warehouse 200 km away.  By now he is trying
to keep customer happy (I have already spend several thousand dollars there
this season) and wants to get a quick turn around.  Besides, I need the
truck.  Parts should be in the shop on Friday and I get truck back.  No
parts, dealer forgot to order.  Ordered again.  Should be in Saturday or
latest Monday.  Monday - no parts.  dealer forgot again.  I believe the
mechanic had a 'discussion' with his supplier at this point. Dealer sent a
man to get parts and deliver.  Parts installed, transmission remounted.  I
have the truck back and so far it works.

Now to get the mirror fixed (see previous message) and go get some honey.

Have a nice day.

Eric

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada T0A 1N0