From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:42:15 -0700
I'm sorry this exchange regarding "Admire" an injectable form of
Imidacloprid, is so long.  However, since it turns out that the email
address provided by/for the Bayer rep is "inactive," I thought it might
help to have the list comment on the questions raised.

If the list believes my concern is legitimate, I'll try to pursue the
answer.  If anyone has better contacts than I do, a pointer would help.

My Exchange with Mr. Sanden (UC Davis Extension Service) has been edited
only to eliminate multiple copies of messages.

---------------
Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.

-----------Forwarded messages------------

Thanks for the reply: I hope Mr. Snyder will chip in.  Pollen, while
important since both bees and humans eat the stuff - not me! - there are
two other issues of more immediate importance:

a) If Admire is applied via buried drip and therefore does not see the
sun, how long does it persist in the plant's system?

b) What levels are found in blossom nectar?

Since I understand it is systemic, and if the substance is found in
nectar, application before flowering, which you have said would be in
accordance with the label, might prove to be a problem for pollinators.

I know how hard it is to anticipate all the combinations and permutations
during the testing phase.  I was present when a noted mushroom
producer/researcher pointed out to a USDA official that the pesticide
which had just been approved for use in mushroom "caves" - a pesticide
which had previously been approved for use for greenhouse and field grown
vegetable fruit and leaf crops - that the pesticide would persist in toxic
form on mushrooms even into the market place because mushrooms were grown
out of sunlight.  The guy blanched on the spot - I'd never seen that
before.

Thanks in advance for yet one more round.

RY