From:
Ernest Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:57:11 PST
Hello Gang,

First, thank you to all who answered my support pin question.
Bobby pins would have saved me $80.00 this year.

I am trying to plan for next years honey crop of comb honey
and I have been getting conflicting information about
winter stores. I attended a bee school and was told that
honey weighs X amount of pounds and to leave X amount for
the bees.

In planning for the up comming year I want to know how much each
super weighs in order to know how much to leave the bees. So far
I have been told that a full deep 9-5/8 super has 50 lbs of honey
and will weight 70 pounds including bees and frames and comb.
Someone else says a full deep super will weigh 60 lbs, and another
says 80 lbs yet another says 90 lbs.

I have read these varying weights from articles in Gleanings,
from published books, from bee supply catalogs, and also
from "Proffessional" beekeepers.

I have not had a full super of capped honey to weigh myself
this year. (Just starting out). So my question is this;

What does a super weigh that has 10 frames,
and is 9-5/8" and is full of capped honey?
How much of the weight is honey?

How about a 10 frame 6-5/8" super,and a 10 frame 5-3/4" super,
( this is called a 5-11/16" super in some catalogs.)
How much of this weight is honey?

I would like to hear from the folks who actually put
the supers on a scale. I realize that there will be some
variation in weight from super to super, but 40 lbs
of variation?.

de AA1IK,

Ernie Gregoire

R.R. 1, Box 221,