From:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:24:45 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 25 February 1999 20:57
Subject: Re: Benefits of varroa floors

>Ruary Rudd stated
>
>>As you should not treat with acaricides when there is a honey
>>flow on, you can really only treat Fall and Spring, this being so testing
>>between these two seasons is not of much benefit.<
>>
>Kevin Stevens, the Product Manager at Bayers, when asked the question, "Can
>Bayvarol strips be used when supers are in place, and a honey flow is in
>progress", at a talk earlier this month to the Shropshire BKA (UK),
replied,
>"Yes. Although it is sensible to try and avoid using the strips when nectar
>is being collected there will be occasions when this is unavoidable and
>there is no evidence that the chemical flumethrin is absorbed into
>honey." Kevin received, and approved a draft copy of a report that has been
>included in a local magazine.

I stand corrected but Mr Stevens is selling the product, also I would
suggest that the use of his word "sensible" would mean that normally one
would wish to avoid using acaricides when a honey flow is on. But would use
then in emergency.

>Adopting the timetable suggested by Ruary might mean you have left it too
>late.

Both Tom Watson and I are from Ireland where at the moment the outbreak is
remote from either of us. (The situation which appertained in Britain about
5
years ago), We are both trying to be prepared for when the infestation
reaches our respective areas. This being so we are monitoring for the
presence of varroa, and I would suggest that the evidence is that there is
about three years from first infestation to collapse of colony.

Use of the BBC /MAFF calculator shows that a NATURAL mite drop of 200 per
day in March is required before treatment would be needed in September. If
testing with Bayvarrol or Apistan is used the mite drop could well be some
360 times larger assuming a 90% efficiency.

Monitoring at 6 months intervals, combined with treatement when required
should be adequate under these circumstances.

>Regarding the insert not covering the whole area of the floor, the problem
>is that you do not get a true evaluation of mite drop (and an increase in
>wax moths).

I agree, but Allen was looking for a simple insert which could be slipped
in, under the brood nest, and then taken away and examined, by unskilled
labour. If the labour is suitably clad, the bees well smoked then the tray
can be inserted and withdrawn.

Ruary Rudd