From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 09:50:52 -0400
Garth's note concerning cautions when using drones as a source for DNA
analysis reminded me that in his outstanding book, "The Wisdom of the Hive",
Dr. Tom Seeley states that at any one time between 1%-3% of the worker bees
in a hive will be egg layers; even in a queenright hive!  Even at only
40,000 bees in a colony, that is a lot of laying workers!  It is also a lot
of drones.

I don't know much about honey bee genetics, but with this number of drones
coming from laying workers and being potential mates for virgin queens, it
would seem to add some real complications to controlled breeding programs.

Makes me appreciate good queen breeders even more!

Lloyd