From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:25:58 +0900
Paul Cronshaw wrote:
>A local avocado orchard grower is going to spray a bee phermone on his
>blossoming avocado orchard to attract more bees to the blossoms.
>
>Has anyone heard of this proceedure before?
>
>Would this be a viable project for other plant species?

Almonds are an important commercial crop in South Australia with pollination
by bees being integrated into production strategy. Research reports I read
some 5 years ago indicated bees preferred to stick to a single species when
collecting pollen but almond production would increase if bees could be
encouraged to visit the cross-pollinating species alternately.  Sprays were
being tested to counter the instinctive behaviour.

I do not know if these are currently in use.  The practice is to saturate
the area with bees and pollination fees are paid to the beekeepers who in
some cases transport hives from considerable distances.  The honey harvested
is negligible perhaps because of the over-supply of bees but the hives come
off the almonds and must be split immediately to forestall swarming.
Almonds flower here in July and swarming normally occurs around
October/November.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island