From:
James C Bach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 19:14:56 -0800
I appreciate your question Andy.  Here is an answer.

Washington's apiary program was changed in 1994 from a regulatory program
with educational activities to one with educational, problem solving,
consulting, and a focal point for anything apicultural, with a few
regulatory activities.

Our current business plan put together by myself, our Apiary Advisory
Committee, the Washington State Beekeepers Association Executive Board,
numerous members of the industry, and some non-resident beekeepers who have
exchanged communications with us, contains activities of education,
communication, facilitating the labeling or relabeling of agricultural
chemicals to better protect pollinators, participation with the Apiary
Inspectors of America in their effort to facilitate the same, and the
design of a study project which will gather data on many of the occurrances
within and in the environment of bee colonies.  Our priorities would be to
do those studies which may not be receiving attention from others who are
doing formal research investigations.

One of the things many beekeepers have been asking me to do for many years
is to identify and discuss the problems beekeepers face in their attempts
to manage colonies effectively and economically.  These include public and
beekeeping industry relations and to be a media, government, private
industry, and legislative resource.  This includes discussing the queen and
stock problems that beekeeper are experiencing, of course mites, and
economics.

My special interest since 1960 has been bee behavior and its response to
bee management, nutrition, weather, migratory movement, etc.  Many
beekeepers have helped me with this interest with their innovative ideas
and methods.

In my discussions with researchers and government I have constantly and
consistently encouraged and challenged them to conduct applied research in
a manner which would quickly and cost effectively produce outcomes which
would provide information and techniques to beekeepers that would enhance
apiculture, agricultural pollination, and pollinator protection.

I'd say that is a "tall order" for a one person program just barely funded
by industry over the last few years after losing all general funds.

James C. Bach