From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:43:11 +0000
> success as a beekeeper and writer is instructive.

Depends on what the definition of "success as a beekeeper" is. You know the one about the beekeeper who wins the lottery? He says he'll stay in beekeeping so long as the money holds out. How many successful beekeepers support their success with other income? Or earn most of their money doing book tours?

What is a successful writer? Some of us would have jumped at the chance to write "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping". Others would rather not be associated with the term "Complete Idiot". The book has misled countless readers, in any case, with its anti-conventional beekeeping stance.

The modern beekeeper is not the enemy. Were I to write a beginner's book, I would present the topic broadly, not put my own stamp all over it. But I have no interest in writing such a book, as there are many splendid ones already available, not the least of which is "The Beekeeper's Handbook" by Sammataro and Avitabile.

Pete