From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:03:29 -0800
Dick writes:
> Hi Joe,
> Tall people tend to have big feet. The taller they are, on
> average, the bigger the foot. It's quite a jump to say that
> big feet causes tallness. Because 2 things happen at the
> same time doesn't mean that one causes the other.

Hello to others who responded in a similar manner.
I have to say that I agree!

I enjoyed the responses very much!  But as I have learned to do on this list, I was very careful concerning how I chose to word my post.

If I may be allowed to clarify:  I did not say that 'one causes the other' or that 'one initiates the other',,,

I wrote in my post:
> early brood rearing initiation phase is largely
> controlled by the temperature gradient.  Studies in
> early 20c have shown
> this.<<<<<<<<<<

Speaking in terms of what I wrote: << laying by the queen >>,  I referenced only a small portion of a study which contained a graph of the number of eggs laid in cells of various temperatures:

PS. In no way should one assume I support other findings in the study, or that an error here or there in the document necessarily debunks other valuable information which may be found whiten.

Graph:

72 F    No eggs laid
75 F    2 eggs laid
79 F    19 eggs laid
82 F    34 eggs laid
85 F    67 eggs laid
88 F    110 eggs laid
91 F    96 eggs laid
94 F    22 eggs laid

They came to the conclusion that 'laying by the queen in early brood rearing is controlled by the temperature gradient', as the chart above seems to suggest this and IMO substantiates the comment.

By saying 'largely controlled', one should not assume that I am suggesting that there are not other factors at play.

Best wishes,
Joe