From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:28:28 -0700
> Can anyone point me to information that says that ozone kills Nosema spores
> and how much and for how long

Hi Andrew,  to the best of my knowledge, there have been no trials,
and I've been too swamped to do one.  However, I have done extensive
research into ozone disinfection, and spoken to researchers who have
used it for other purposes.

Here is some basic info:

You can smell ozone at .05ppm.
This concentation will sterilize air, and is at the top of the safe
range to breathe.

Strong sterilization is at 10-20ppm, although some recommendations are
in the 40ppm range, or even higher.  These levels are said to kill
"everything."

Efficacy is dependent upon temperature, amount of reactive organic
matter, humidity, and duration of treatment.  Too much or too little
humidity decrease efficacy.

Unfortunately, good ozone monitors are expensive.  Check out
http://www.ozonesupplies.com/Ozone_Monitors.html?gclid=CIHdz5XH2JICFScxiQodoBGU5w
for some inexpensive testers.

The test of the treatment would be to take smears of nosema spores on
glass slides, expose them to ozone in the chamber, then feed them to
bees and see if the bees become infected.  Of course you would run
controls.

My guess is that if you could kill all mold spores, you'd be killing
nosema spores.

If anyone has access to a commercial ozone generator, suitable for
killing mold, I would be happy to work with you.

Randy Oliver