From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 08:29:34 -0400
"W. Allen Dick" wrote:

> Sorry for all the quotes below, but some may recall that this is an old
> thread from Sun, 26 Nov 2000.  I've been waiting to resurrect it, since it
> is right about this time of year that the effects of bad wrapping or no
> wrapping become apparent in areas where wrapping is the norm.
>
> Do people still believe that just because a cluster of bees managed to make
> it to January without proper wrapping and are not properly protected from
> severe weather, that those same bees will be worth anything now?

I did some reearch on this and the finding were that wrapping, when the
temp is below 28F on average, is worse for the bees than leaving them
unwrapped. Above that temp and wrapping is probably better. It was also
interesting to follow that argument since it began back before the turn
of the last century, as it is totally counterintuitive that colder is
better. All during that time, wrapping and usually heavy wrapping was
the norm to overwinter.

The key elements in overwintering include a large cluster, good queen,
heavy stores (and the right stores), and a well built hive with proper
ventilation.

Usually you get excellent arguments about ventilation and wrapping and
occasionally the kind  of stores, not the amount. Experience also comes
in but I tend to discount that since we do not know all the variables
that are there going into the winter. Both the bees and beekeeper can
give skewed results. The type of climate in the area also can give
different results. And just becasue you are further north than another
beekeeper does not mean you are colder.

For instance, I do better than another beekeeper that wraps their hives
here in Maine both in the number of bees and colonies that make it
thought the winter and honey production. I also do the same as another
beekeeper in coming out of the winter. Both have different beekeeping
practices so I would expect differences. I am closer to the latter as I
value him as a mentor- except in wrapping.

From the other discussion, this thread will change few minds. And it
will be back next year, since it has been with us since the 1800s. And
the reason is that the results do not fit our  common sense or
experience, both of which may be wrong.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME