From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:23:56 -0500

> are they resistant to nosema ceranae also?

My Russian bees always had very low levels of tracheal mites (TM). My
Italians always needed treatment. My treatment for TM cost me around fifty
cents a hive.

I have found some N. ceranae in all my stocks and each group has had some
hives crash. Too early for my thoughts right now but it seems the mixing and
timing of fumidl is as important as feeding. When dealing with a large
number of hives you can miss the hive showing the non feeding symptom.
Realizing you have got a problem when you see a feeder full of dead bees or
a hive or two (out of a yard) which should be taking feed is important. Not
sure as jerry says right now what plan of action to take. Depending on the
time of year killing the hive and bringing the comb in for acetic acid
treatment might be the best move.

Doing experiments now but in yards I drenched and left the N. ceranae
problem hives the whole yard now does not look as well as the other yards.
The hives I drenched for the most part ( 75%) died .

The good thing is all the hives right now are taking feed. Beekeepers which
do not feed bees might have N. ceranae sneak up on them. Eric Mussen said he
believes hives with N. ceranae can recover if they are still taking feed.

 My question is like Jerry's " are the hives heavily infected worth the
bother?". Left in the yard they cause problems for the other hives and what
about spore counts in those hives. I believe my *final answer* will be to
depopulate and use acetic acid on the boxes.

What I find interesting is that I have been testing and feeding fumidil for
many years (spring & fall) yet n. ceranae has displaced nosema apis and I
see some hives having problems. My N. ceranae problems only involve a tiny
percent of hives but if I would ignore the problem I believe the whole
outfit would crash in a year or so.

I do not believe I should be seeing any hives with N. ceranae serious
problems but I am so trying to figure out why. My opinion is I have been too
slow to act when I see the symptoms.

Spain recommends if your bees test positive for N. ceranae you should treat
regardless of spore counts.

My final Missouri winter loss has been in the 6% range ( lowest since 2002).
My problem this year is not enough equipment to make spilts. A good problem
to have. I have found depopulating the "dinks" is a sound management
practice and use the equipment to make up new hives headed by new queens.

Moving brood from N. ceranae infested hives is not a good thing in my
opinion. You could be dooming the new hive.

bob