From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:46:33 +0100
Hi Peter

> What a pity that Gormanston happens at a time when anyone with more than
> a few colonies of bees cannot possibly take the time off.  Any chance of
> moving it to the winter months in future?

It has always been in the same slot and has gone from strength to
strength over the last forty odd years of its running. Prices at
Gormanston have always been low and in recent years air fares to Ireland
have become a mere fraction of what they were.

Many of the attendees are large scale beekeepers and it does not seem to
inconvenience them, or at least they will make compromises to attend.

I actually thought much like you, because I knew about Gormanston many
years before I attended for the first time, but I realised as soon as I
got there the first time, that I should have been going every year and
have regretted missing out on so much in the past.

There is another point which I find very difficult to get across and
that is that the event is so good and so worthwhile that some people
will make the effort and 'move heaven and earth' to attend.

The Gormanston Summer school has attracted people from US and Canada,
Australia and New Zealand, various African countries, Denmark, Sweden
and many other European countries.

In 2005 we had Apimondia in Dublin, many from far afield attended that
international event, however although Gormanston has no 'exhibition
context' it is ten times more attractive than Apimondia as an event.

--
Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://melliferabees.net Email: [log in to unmask]