From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 17:12:17 +1000
Here in Australia there is an application in to register sulfoxaflor.

We had a presentation by an entomologist from Dow Agri Sciences, the makers
of sulfoxaflor, last week.  In it he said that sulfoxaflor was not a real
neonicotinoid.  It did not have the same half life in soil as some neonics.
It was toxic to bees for about three (3) hours until it dried.  Once it
dried it was not toxic.  They had done tests and it certainly killed
foraging bees on contact in that period.  Some did get brought back to the
hive and did have some larval effects but not bad.  Apparently a lot of the
testing on bees was done in the US.

It is a foliar spray and not a seed coating.  The reason it is not being
looked at as a seed coating is the short half life in soil.

Here in Australia the demand is there for resistant pests.  They say it is
very effective on those resistant pests.

Anyway we have the opportunity to make comment on the application so if
anyone has any "real evidence" I would love to hear it.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia

database 8551 (20130710) __________

http://www.eset.com