From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 2015 21:32:16 -0400
I would counsel that you cancel.

I got roped into doing "after film discussions" for several NYC releases,
and it is truly a no-win situation.
Few people go to such films to learn about the issue, they go with their
minds very much made up.
After the first three, I stopped accepting such invitations.  I may be a
slow learner, but I do learn.

Worse, the "panel" you will join will have no one else other than you who
can even properly pronounce "neonicotinoid", no one who has any clue what a
cytochrome P450 enzyme might be, and no one who has read even a single
published paper on the subject.  Despite this, everyone will be smugly
certain of themselves.

Your words will fall upon deaf ears, and you will be dismissed as a stooge
of the pesticide companies if you offer even a single word of reason, or
attempt to introduce any facts into the Orwellian "Two Minutes of Hate" that
will be directed at Bayer and Monsanto (never mind that Monsanto makes no
neonics).

The room will be redolent of patchouli oil used instead of deodorant, a
scent that has trigged my flight reflex ever since the great "Harmonic
Convergence" of 1987, where a group of us were so foolish as to attempt to
teach basic planetary orbital physics to people who thought that a "Grand
Trine" (look it up, do the math) was an uncommon event, or somehow
significant in any way.

The only one of the bunch of post-2006 bee films that is safe in any way is
"More Than Honey", as it makes no accusations, and is actually entertaining
and funny in its quirky selection of beekeepers, most of them trying to be
"biodymanic" (Steinerism) to one extent or another.  It also has some very
good high-rez, slo-mo film taken with endoscopy cameras.