From:
"Mark A. Templin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 22:48:55 -0700
*** Please take the time to read this simple survey and respond... ***

The Carl Hayden Bee Research Center, USDA-Agriculture Research Center, Tucson
AZ has labs currently involved in developing hi-technology software for
various simulation models.  Some examples that you may have heard of include
(but are not limited to) PC-BEEPOP for DOS which simulates life expectancy of
colonies infected with tracheal mites and the impact of various treatments,
PC-REDAPOL for DOS which simulates crop yields for apple farmers who use bees
to pollinate their trees, and many more...  <<if you would like more info on
these or any other simulation models, please contact me personally! -- the
USDA would be happy to send you a copy of any model free of charge with full
on-line help and documentation!>>

This particular survey involves determining what percent of the beekeeping
community (commercial, hobbyist, or other) 1.) have personal computers and
2.) what type of PC they own and 3.) if it is an IBM/compatable--what platform
they run--Windows/DOS or DOS only.

This survey has personal importance due to the fact that I am currently
developing simulation software which will be released as public domain on a
very widespread basis--involving as many beekeepers as possible.  The program
will focus on the beekeeping business and the simple economics involved in
beekeeping as a business including profit margin predicitions for up to 10
YEARS based on approximately 50 fully customizable variables (equipment, loans,
insurance, wages, and many more...)  I stongly urge the members of this List to
get involved with the USDA-ARS and take advantage of the public domain software
we have to offer!  I will keep the List updated with my progress on my current
Bee Economics model and I am always happy to answer personal questions.  Please
send them to my e-mail address (listed below) -- not to the List in general.

Please take the time to answer my survey questions and take a poll of the people
you know if you can::

1.)  Do you own/use a personal computer regularly? (yes/no)
2.)  What kind (brand) of PC do you own/use?
3.)  If you own an IBM/compatable--> Do you run WINDOWS/DOS or DOS-ONLY?

Learning this information from as many people as possible will be an excellent
help to my lab in chosing which platform to use for my program.  A Macintosh
version will be published.  A Windows version will also be published--but most
likely there will not be a DOS version to compliment.  We have found that it
takes at least twice as long to compose a program in Borland C++ for DOS and we
feel that better than 75% of the computer-owning/using population in America
has either switched to a Windows environment or purchased new computers which
are seldom sold with Windows installed.

**  AGAIN--I urge you to contact me and find out about all of the public
    domain resources at your finger tips from the USDA-ARS.  PC-BEEPOP won
    world acclaim for its ease of use and user friendly interface.  Our
    programs are developed with the intention of FULL PUBLIC ACCESS AND USE.
    We DO NOT develop programs soley for the use of other research facilities!
    If you have ideas or suggestions about future simulation models--PLEASE
    WRITE US!  WE'RE DYING FOR MAIL OUT HERE!  Your interaction with us is
    extremely valuable--after all--our research and development is for you!

Please write to the following address for more information:

Carl Hayden Bee Research Center
USDA-ARS
2000 E. Allen Road
Tucson, AZ  85719
%Mark Templin

-OR-

Write to my e-mail address:

[log in to unmask]    [University of Arizona CCIT]

>> Your tax dollars working for you... <<

-
--Mark!