From:
Cam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:29:03 -0400
>It may be different in Ithaca, but the BIP survey suggests that the
majority of recreational beekeepers indeed perform zero varroa management.
And the data strongly suggest that surrounding beekeepers then pay the
price.

I moved my small operation to a new location last year. I found out that I had a small beekeeper down the road. I went by to visit and was asked to examine the hives for her. I took a look and the hives were pretty strong. I asked her about treatment and she said she had some but wasn't going to put it on. I offered to treat the hives for her and she refused. Later that fall one of the hives collapsed and I offered to treat the other ones. Again I was rebuffed. So this year, after she lost more hives and developed a allergy to stings, I was able to buy her out. I've found one needs to scour the area for other hives and make sure they are treated or offer to treat for free. I believe it saves a lot of trouble in my hives.