From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 16:52:54 -0500
>Diana's observations and readings agree with mine.  I brought up the
>point since earlier discussion emphasized Tracheal Mite preference for 1-4
>day old bees.  It seems to me that the recommended test to rank colonies
>and queens with respect to resistance to T-mite isn't quite as simple as
>stated.  Time of year could make a difference.  Also, in northern
>climates, colonies go broodless for a period. Therefore, when the mites
>can finally move to new hosts, we may get a wave of infestation, followed
>by a lag period before then next generation of mites emerges.  Results of
>the screening test might vary depending on where you are in that cycle.

When you write an article as I have just done, it is very easy to miss a
point or two!!
These tests are not just a one off. Last year our first test was done almost
too early. It was still cold and the bees had not really built up! The
second was early summer.
They were still testing bees in early Sept. I suppose to satisfy everybody
we should knock over a hive in mid-winter just to prove a point.The figures
incidently, are adjusted as the infestation levels rise and fall.
        It is very easy to sit on the side-lines and criticse others
efforts, as our friend in
Alberta does. But until somebody comes up with better,and goes public with
it, I firmly believe Dr.Nasr's testing to be the best around!!
        A final point you obviously missed, the dates, 1990 to 1995.In that
time span, I would think your concerns would have been addressed.
   * David J. Eyre CEO    9, Progress Drive, Unit 2,     *
   * The Beeworks        Orillia, Ont, Canada, L3V 6H1 *
   * [log in to unmask]    (705) 326 7171           *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks                     *