From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 06:41:59 -0500
Interesting guesses going on here.

One of my hobbies is repairing things, from TVs to clothes washers. In
most of these repairs, I have to start with the obvious first, otherwise
I waste my time chasing the esoteric. Some of the things I look for are:

Has it happened before? I like to keep records of my repairs since often
it is the same part that fails and I can see that the symptoms are the
same. There are records of massive bee kills. Some culprits were
Tracheal/Varroa mites, off spec HFCS, AFB, pesticides, and a slew of
other bacterial and viral diseases.

What is common to the problem? So are the bees dying on the west coast
or just the east? If so, what is common to them? Jerry noted that they
have moved between Maine and Florida, so it would not be unusual to have
the symptoms along the east coast. If they are dying all along the
coast, you can eliminate the weather since it certainly is not common in
every location. It is also obvious that beekeepers vary in their
practices in keeping bees, so that can be eliminated.

What is common to what is still working? In my electronic repair do I
still have sound, horizontal sync, color...? For the bees, what is
common with the surviving colonies? Is a specific race not effected? Is
a specific location (away from possible pesticides) free from the problem?

Then I start measuring voltages and continuity, so with bees it will be
Beltsville or other labs to check on disease or pesticides.

When all else fails, I might easter egg the problem, which is to put a
good part in place of the bad one and give it the smoke test, a very bad
practice which I would have chewed out the sailors who worked for me if
they did it. And they did. Just like I did. So move good colonies into
the effected areas and see what happens.

I think the key in this problem is to stay away from agendas, which I
see too much of on this list. We take a problem and assign our
prejudices to the solution. This is really a detective story (which is
how I look at my dead appliance) where the clues are sifted, evaluated
and accepted or discarded. Just because we do not like one of the
characters in our story, that does not mean they are guilty. For that we
need proof.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine