Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 06:59:14 -0600
> I tried Weavers a while back, They seemed to be hardy, they were
> definately manageable, but too testy for me.

Friends tried them some considerable time ago and found the same.  I had
a look the their bees and concurred.

We are assured by researchers that aggressiveness and vigour are not
linked, but I know many beekeepers who will say that there is a
trade-off for gentleness.  Maybe not in all cases, but generally.

By all accounts, Weavers provide good bees and Weavers were among the
first to report bees that could deal with varroa without treatment.  I
still recall Danny Weaver's report at Apimondia in Vancouver and imagine
that they have refined their stock since then.

I have not been keeping up on the official AHB map, but some time back,
if I am not mistaken, all the area surrounding Weavers was marked AHB,
but Weavers region was not.

Many US beekeepers winter in  Texas, too, so I am not sure how they can
avoid some africanization.  The same applies to Florida.

As Pete reports periodically, bee breeding is not easy and always a work
in progress and regression is a constant.  You have to run just to stand
still and there are bottlenecks along the way.

As I say, I have not kept up, so maybe someone has the latest?